Some people have asked me how I started my weight loss. My first few months in the blog archive explain it all.

Monday, January 7, 2008

ADRD


I have a condition. It is called ADRD. Attention Deficit Resolution Disorder. This self-diagnosed condition is a family trait and something I am not proud of. I make a resolution and do pretty well the first week. Slowly I forget and by the end of the month my life is back on my former track. This was first pointed out by my brilliant sister "Trixie" who told me how she combats this disability. Her new years resolutions are now made so that she can accomplish them in a week or two such as: "This year I am going to go to the bank and open a savings account" Then she goes and opens the savings account the next day and bam - she accomplished her New years goal - not guilt but pride is her reward.

Genius. That is all I have to say. If you suffer from Attention Deficit Resolution Disorder there is now hope - and this is how: when I make a fitness goal I chop it up into weeks "this year I am going to work out at the gym every week" turns into "I am going to work out 5 days in a row." I accomplish it, have great self esteem and can make a new goal. How does the saying go? "Eat an elephant a day at a time?" by swallowing resolutions in smaller increments you wont end up looking like the proverbial elephant you are attempting to swallow.

I am now trying to apply this in other decisions I make. I made a goal to read the Book Of Mormon through this year. I considered my condition of resolution disorder and decided to tweak it a little. I am going to finish it this week. I read a book a week easily. So wish me well.....

10 comments:

Yvonne said...

Great idea. You always have the best ideas. Thanks.

A mother heart said...

Did you really just say you were going to read the Book of Mormon through this week? I bow down to your greatness! (I can only fit in 15 min.day right now and that is if I plan really well!)

Although, onn second glance of the entry, I realize that you are going to finish it this week---which could mean you are on Moroni 10 and are going to read it this week. :)

Either way, good luck with your goals!

I would love to know some of your favorite recipes and snack ideas. I am trying to lose my baby weight and am always open to new ideas!!!

Kristen said...

I can read a book in a week also, but I always find that the Book of Mormon has to much information to read so quickly. But that is my problem not yours. I know you and totally believe that you can do it. Let me know how it goes. I am also taking smaller bites in my resolutions- baby steps to the end of the year, hopefully by then I will be a better person than at the end of 2007.

Lara said...

Brilliant! I've heard of people who read it in one night so I'm sure you can do it. There's no reason to let it drag on and on right?

Team Simmons said...

How did you do it? I would love to lose 80 pounds. I am at home with my 3 month old in cold Vemont! Any pointers?

Heffalump said...

When I was down with morning sickness and spent all day in bed I read the Book of Mormon in 8 days. I had a goal to read ten chapters a day, but often read twenty instead. I felt pretty good about it. Now I am back to just trying to read a chapter a day again.
My resolution this year was merely to improve myself over last year. I figure, I have to be able to do that in some way.

Camille said...

Holy Cow! Did you mean you would read from start to finish??? GOOD LUCK. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Michal said...

in my pre-motherhood days i used to have a tradition of reading the book of mormon cover to cover in the month of january. it took about an hour a day. i loved how the stories and characters (yes, i know they were real people) were so much easier to identify and understand when i read it quickly like that. alas, gone are the days when i can spend an hour a day reading the scriptures--now i just try to read them period! good luck with your goal, it is a worthy one.

Calamity Jane said...

Yvonne, you are the best cheerleader. Thats why you are such a great mom.
Aubrey- thanks for the good luck, it seems to be working
Kristen, you are already so good, it seems that there is little room to improve.
Lazy organizer - my point exactly!
Team Simmons - I have lots of ideas, I am glad you came here. Believe me when I say if I can do it, anyone can!
Heffalump - once again I see why you are such a nice and wonderful woman, You really made a bad situation better.
Camille, You will probably hear my shout from your house when I finish Sunday.
Michal, I am finding like you that reading the Book of Mormon like a story puts everything into context again. I forgot how well it flows. I love the idea of doing it every January, Great!

Team Simmons said...

Congratulations on completing your goal. I would love to hear what helped the most in your weight loss goals.If you have some time email me @ laurenlsimmons@hotmail.com