Some people have asked me how I started my weight loss. My first few months in the blog archive explain it all.

Friday, February 27, 2009

How to get skinny



















The night before, you lay out your clothes (including socks), or sleep in them.

You've put a couple water bottles in the fridge the night before too.

Wake up to the alarm, turn it off, get out of bed get dressed.

It's cold, you're tired, but you've decided you want this.

You've already made lunches, had everyone get their things ready the night before, and gotten up an hour before the first one in the house is up, so quickly set the table for breakfast.

You go outside and walk/run. You don't care if it's cold, snowy or rainy. You must do something for yourself, and this is it.


You come home after your 10, 15, 30, 45 minute workout. Hey, anything is something more than nothing.

If no one is up, quickly jump in the shower.

If they're up, make sure they're eating and then go take a shower.

(Your day will go better if you have taken a shower before everyone leaves.)

Kids are off, you make yourself a bowl of oatmeal, and whole grain toast. Sit down at the table and eat. Still hungry? It's oatmeal, have some more and add some fruit.

While eating, you make a plan to stay busy during the times you are the hungriest. Call someone on the phone you haven't talked to on the phone, and fold laundry. Go to the playland at the mall, meet a friend at the park, go to the library, or run errands.

You don't forget to grab healthy snacks and stash them in your purse. You are allowed to snack, just on the right food.


Noon. Sure, you're a little worn out, but after a couple weeks of exercising, you'll be blessed with added energy. It's okay to take a nap or do something for yourself. Paint your toenails, shave your legs. Drink water.

1/2 before the kids get home, you make something you can all snack on together. Fresh veggies and fat free ranch? 94% fat free popcorn? Bran muffins? Pineapple?
Something quick and delicious.

Dinner has been thrown in the crock pot in the morning, or is planned out. You've thought about it ahead of time so you don't give into fast food or boxed meals.

After homework is finished, you make sure everyone makes their lunches, and lays out everything for the next day.

Before the Kids go to bed, they help you put the house to bed. It's so much easier to face the morning if you're not overwhelmed with housework.

After they go to bed, mommy time, you watch t.v. but you lay on the floor and do leg lifts or crunches. Maybe you sit and crochet to keep your hands busy. Maybe you choose to read a book instead.

You go to bed at a reasonable time because you know you have to wake up early.

You pray and give thanks for what you did accomplish, even if it wasn't perfect.

Tomorrow is another day to try again.

When you fall down, you get back up because you don't like staying on the ground.

Can't walk/run a mile or two? Get a calendar and work yourself up to it. Set a goal. One week you'll walk/run 1/4 mile, the next week you'll run 1/2, and so on. Make it a goal to run in a 5k this summer, or sign up for a fundraising walk and work towards that. Get someone to join you.

In four months, when summer comes you can either be heavier, the same weight, or skinnier. The good news is, you can choose which one you want to be.

“Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted”


I am not perfect. I gain weight, I lose weight. We all have bad days, weeks, months. The important thing is that you try to better yourself.

I'm going to have to give up the blog. It's been fun, but it's just not something I can keep up anymore. Hey, here's an idea! Why don't you start a blog about your weight loss? It just might give you the motivation you need.

Thank you and good night.

15 comments:

Amy said...

Thank you for the reminders on how to make time my health and well-being. Good luck in your own goals. I will miss you.

Marc and Megan said...

I love all the simple things throughout the day that can add up to making a huge difference. I'm so done now with watching tv on the couch!

I was so sad, initially, to see this is the end for you here... but, I feel lucky to be connected to you in real life. You've inspired and encouraged... and will continue to.

~Megan

Kristy said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have enjoyed your blog so much! (My sister Tammy S. got me hooked! She says you're wonderful!) You are such a gifted writer and offer so much great, easy-to-use advice. Good luck to you and thanks again for your inspiration!

Tammy said...

I love you!!! Thanks for talking to me last night, my new-found sister. It was very enlightening. :)

Thanks for taking the time to write this check list. I'll put it on my bathroom mirror which is even more inspiring than the fridge because I see myself in the mirror next to it. I just have to get through step 3 (getting out of bed before everyone) and I've made it for the day. . .

Yvonne said...

Thanks you so much for your blog. It has been such a help to me. Most days I take my work-out clothes to Seminary and after teaching change, drop off one of my students at school and then hit the gym. It has been such a help.

I will miss this blog so much. Take care of yourself.

MelanieJ said...

Thank you for ALL the wonderful insights I have gleaned from this blog. I am still waiting for the day we will actually meet "in person." I hope you are well, happy, and full of healthy energy!!!

Mom4ever said...

I have LOVED this blog! Thanks for sharing your awesome insights and success stories.

Mad Libs Millie said...

Thanks so much. I copied this on a Word document and will refer to it often. Thank you again for a wonderful blog! :)

A mother heart said...

I will miss reading this, but totally understand. It's a lot of work to keep up.

But...Please don't take the blog down! It is a great reference for a lot of us.

Greg & Jen said...

Haven't you said you were going to give it up once before? Are you sure this is the end?? In any case you are a great role model and I know that you will accomplish everything you set out to do.

Carrot Jello said...

It is the end, my friends. She won't take it down, but this is the end.

Anonymous said...

Hi
I stumbled across your blog on LDS BLOGS. I thought you mighe be interested in a site my wife and I just built called MormonsMadeSimple.com, which uses simple, explanatory videos to explain the Mormon faith. Feel free to feature any of these videos on your blog, or just share them with non-member friends. We're hoping these videos will be missionary tools to help members share their beliefs. Anyway, sorry to spam your comments section. I couldn't find any contact information for you on your blog.

- Doug & Laurel

Haynsy said...

Where did you inherit this energy?

You're making me tired just with your enthusiasm.

Cinderill said...

I sure miss reading about how things are going. My cousin Annette Hoffman told me about you and I have read everything you have written on this blog and I have come to feel like you are a friend. Even if you update 2 x a year that you are still alive and fighting the good fight it would be nice to hear :) Ok, 1 x is fine too. Thanks for your inspiration and help.

Shelby and Johnny Family said...

I LOVE this post!! I've been trying like crazy to figure out how to make everything in my life come together so I can actually take care of myself too, while taking care of 2 young children and living in a foreign country (Japan). The routine you write about totally matches what I've been TRYING like crazy to replicate. I love it and thanks for sharing. Now on to that getting to bed early part for me...