Some people have asked me how I started my weight loss. My first few months in the blog archive explain it all.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Product placement



I had a blueberry cobbler left over from Sunday that my mom gave our family. I had it in a Tupperware at eye level in my fridge. Each time I opened my fridge my eyes landed on it and I was forced by reason to grab a fork and have a taste.

Pretty soon I was seeing a pattern. I open the fridge hundreds ( I exaggerate a bit) of times each day, each time getting a taste of the satanic cobbler. The goods were shrinking in the bowl and I realized I was the one making it disappear. When my eyes were opened to my folly I took the cobbler and put it on the lower shelf behind the chicken and ketchup thus making it invisible to my lustful eye. There I hoped that it would suffer the fate of other lost refrigerated goods and grow a nice beard of moldy blue. "Out of sight out of mind" really works for me.

Last night at dinner I offered the goods to my family and what they didn't eat I forced into the sink, flooding it with water. I just didn't know for how long I would remain safe, I had to get rid of the crack cocaine of the dessert world.

Grocery Stores know that product placement is very important - putting the more expensive items at eye level. We the consumer have no idea how gullible we are. When I put goodies at eye level I feed into my own trap. The kitchen feels like my home. I am cooking and feeding myself and others all day. I have got to make it safe.

"Get thee hence, Satan; deceive me not" (Moses 1: 16)

hence (hns)
adv. From this place; away from here: "Get you hence!"

2 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

What a huge step it is to recognize the weak points and work on them. For me it's timing. I know that once the kids are in bed I give myself permission to eat the junk I don't want them eating (and, um, don't want to share). So after dinner I try to brush my teeth and be done. So hard, but when I do it, it feels so good.

Way to be self-aware!

Tara said...

It's SO hard to throw something perfectly delicious into the garbage disposal. Good for you for being able to do it.