Some people have asked me how I started my weight loss. My first few months in the blog archive explain it all.

Monday, December 17, 2007

A large truck and a hole


Yesterday my four year old son asked my husband to cut a large hole through his door. When we asked why, he told us that he needed an enlarged opening to get the large truck Santa was bringing him into his bedroom, "so could you please do that?"

Somewhere growing up I lost that simple easy faith my son exhibited. Finding out that every prayer does not get answered with the answer I want, or that every goal set does not get met after a declaration of intent makes me afraid to start.

That fear was evident in my previous attempts at weight loss. I had no desire to fail in front of others. Even when my weight loss became evident to people I felt embarrassed for them to notice, just in case I gained it all back.

I love Moroni. "Wherefore, there must be faith; and if there must be faith there must also be hope; and if there must be hope there must be charity." (Moroni 10:20)

Have faith that Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. Have hope that you can do that which others have done and have charity for yourself, don't focus on failures but on the success you have received listening to the spirits promptings.

I have the same chance at success as I do at failure. Believing in success gets me farther than listening to my fears. When I bought clothes that fit my new body and got rid of my larger clothes I burned bridges I hope never to cross again.

I love my four year old and what he teaches me. Now I have to convince him that he really doesn't want a large truck but something more affordable. After all, having faith in Santa doesn't get you as far as faith in God does.

3 comments:

General Wolfe said...

I have always been disappointed that just wanting something really bad wasn't enough. Yet, somewhere, I guess you have to retain the willingness to have hope even though we slowly grow and determine we don't get all we want.

Perhaps it is pride that makes us not to want to hope.

Thanks for the insight.

Heffalump said...

I keep thinking that faith casts out fear, and yet I still have so many fears. I need to work harder on having that faith.

Camille said...

We love that four year old too, what a crack up. He must have really let his little imagination go thinking of this great truck and how he would get it into his room. Thanks for the neat insight.