Some people have asked me how I started my weight loss. My first few months in the blog archive explain it all.

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Captain Moroni and Eating Healthy



As a mom I can usually predict what my children will forget. My oldest son will always forget his lunch on the kitchen counter. My second son will always forget he has additional homework until bedtime. My daughter will always lose her Sunday shoes; I can go on and on making predictions about what I know about my children. I am usually right. In order to help them succeed, I place Coltons lunch in his backpack. I ask Zac if I can see his homework assignment after school, and I tell Alida “DO NOT TAKE OFF YOUR SHOES UNTIL YOU GET TO YOUR CLOSET”

I know where I am weak. If I am hungry I am unable to eat healthy. A starving stomach is not rational. Healthy eating requires preparation. If I do not have a plan before hand and food at the ready, I will not succeed in weight loss, and healthy living. Just like sitting out your work out clothes the night before I have to plan what I will eat before hunger decides for me. Moroni teaches that I have to provide strength to my weakest spots. I am weak when I am running errands, serving after school snacks (we usually share) and eating seconds.

This is my plan:

In the morning I make a menu for the day. I decide before hand what I can prepare that day to feed me and my family. I make sure I know what I need to pick up and that I will have time to prepare. I have made dinner many times at 8:00 in the morning when I know that my afternoon will be impossible.

I have a huge breakfast of Bob’s Red Mill hot cereal, fruit, & milk. If I am hungry after that I will have wheat toast and freezer jam. If I am in a rush I grab a banana and 3 slices of homemade wheat bread and take it with me. Reading the scriptures while eating helps me stretch the meal out past the 20 minute mark. Make sure you are nice and comfortably full. Do not leave the house unfortified! You are setting yourself up for failure.

I make everyone’s lunches in the morning. I even make the two pre –schoolers and my lunch as well. I bag it, and set it on the counter or take it with us. I usually run errands, and if they go too late I will be tempted to stop and buy McDonalds or Taco Bell. I make myself a lunch of a whole grain bread sandwich, fruit, peas and carrots and a treat like one of those Hershey chocolate 100 calorie sticks, or a snack size big hunk, or 3 musketeers. As long as I have a little chocolate about 2:00 I can get through the day.

In my purse I have a bag of raw almonds and raisins ready to help me defeat the popcorn at Target. I also carry water, and for a treat I will carry flavored water, or diet pop, that helps me defeat starbucks frapachinos (I live in the Northwest – they are everywhere.)

In my van I carry slim-fast snack bars and meal replacement bars. That is backup, which protects me from candy bars and starvation in the afterschool driving thing, or when I am crazy busy and didn’t get to eat breakfast. This is important. You have to have back up. I also buy Costco size Extra bubble gum. I place some in my purse, some in my van and some in my drawers in the kitchen. If you chew gum while you cook, you won’t be tempted to taste. I always make sure I have gum in my mouth during my greatest temptations, cookie dough or yellow cake batter.

Dinner is always spent together sitting down. I find if I plate the food before it gets to the table it is easier to resist seconds. I have never asked for seconds at a restaurant. I will prepare veggies different ways and serve more of that than the main course. I use brown rice, homemade whole wheat bread, wheat pasta, and fresh fruit. My goal is to get good and full within 20 minutes which will get me through the night.

There are zillions of recipies for healthy food everywhere. Be creative. Instead of white tortillias in enchiladas, use corn tortillias. White pasta, use wheat, cheerios, use cracked wheat or oatmeal. Use the thing with the most power in it.

Remember Pac Man? The little dots fed the guy, but the big colored blobs gave him super energy. You want super energy! You want to be full of grains, fruit and veggies so that you can resist the worthless foods. They are not your friends.

In the evening I drink hot chocolate, peppermint tea or chamomile tea. I always stop eating by 7:00 then it is just water or nothing baby.

For the things that come up that always include treats like book club, young womens, or R.S. I prepare in advance and have a smaller dinner, or smaller snack. Then I take the treat, (don’t be afraid to offend by asking for small) and enjoy, and stay away from the table after that. When treats are left out they are dangerous. You have no way of monitoring yourself. Pretend they are kryptonite. Stay on the other side of the room. If the temptation is too much and you don’t feel very strong, don’t be afraid to leave before the refreshments come out.

Don’t drink calories. Eating is so much more fun. Stay away from regular pop, juices and consider milk as a serving of dairy. It has calories too so be careful to not be unlimited.

Here is a plug for “retiring to thy bed early” (D&C 88:124) I am in bed by 9:30 and asleep by 10:00. It is easier to avoid late night snacking while asleep. It is easier to get up early and exercise too. DVR’s make it possible to save any show that you want to watch, and going to bed early will protect you from so much temptation and I feel so much better when I get my 8 hours. You can do anything for 2 weeks, give it a try and see if I am right. Remember “an ounce a morning beats a pound of afternoon.

In the comments section write out some of your ideas. Things that help you fortify your weak spots. This can be useful to others that read this blog.

“And why should I yield to sin, because of my flesh? Yea, why should I give way to temptations, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul? Why am I angry because of mine enemy?
Awake my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.” (2 Nephi 4:27-28)

9 comments:

Millie said...

I am seriously printing this one out. Are you sure you shouldn't be writing a book?

Calamity Jane said...

I am pretty sure that it is not my season for book writing. I wouldn't even know where to begin. I am just happy that people like this, and I hope it helps. I am thinking about including recipies, and if anyone has questions or problems related to weight loss tell me, so far I am just writing my story.

KellyLady said...

See...I'm not the only one who thinks this is book worthy! Maybe one day right! I love Crystal Light single pouches! I carry at least one with me in my purse at all times - they are nice and sweet and kill the sugar craving while I fill up on water to get me over that craving hump. I also make sure that I spend some time every week cleaning and cutting veggies so they are quick and easy to toss into salads, spaghetti, or just dipping! I also try to eat a big breakfast, smaller lunch and definitely plate for supper! Great minds think alike. Night time cravings can be hard...especially if I think its real hunger so I try to drink a bottle of water first. If I'm still hungry after that I eat something healthy like a 9 grain ciabatta bun from costco with 95% fat free cream cheese on it. Soooo good and it's high in fiber so it fiills you up. I would love recipies from you and I think what you are writing is fabulous!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I agree that your story is definitely book worthy. The kind of book people would not only buy, but buy copies of for their friends.

I've recently encountered some wonderful gals who are published LDS authors. Let me know if you seriously consider it and I'll give you the links to their blogs! =)

Amy said...

If I take the time to clean and chop veggies in advance, I have healthy snacks that are just as convenient as the unhealthy snacks. I also enjoy the 100 calorie snacks for in the car while running errands when the snack bug hits and wants a shake with fries from Wendy's.

I love reading these tips. I have a long way to go, but it all starts with one foot in front of the other and I am working on that!

Anonymous said...

My "trick" was not so much about losing weight, but losing my obsession with it. I had an eating disorder as a teen. At first I justified it and didn't worry too much. After a couple years, when I was starting to become more active in church, I realized that my eating disorder was harming my spirit as well as my body. It was getting in the way of me drawing closer to Heavenly Father, which I very much needed to do to overcome other problems and progress in life. The only way I was eventually able to overcome was by, more or less, making a covenant with Heavenly Father that I would stop - cold turkey. I asked him to strengthen me so that I could keep my promise...and he did! Satan doesn't stop trying to tear us down, but like the little Veggie Tales dude says, "God is bigger than the Boogie Man...and he's watching out for you and me!"

Lisa said...

I love the idea of making my lunch when I make the kid's lunch. That way I get healthy food, too! Another great post!

aubrey said...

wow. this is fabulous. i can't help but agree on the book worthy thing. so, there is this yummy middle eastern market by my house that sells bbq almonds and lemon roasted almonds. they're awesome. next time you're in town...i can direct you to the right place.

Calamity Jane said...

Kelly, I have never had the ciabatta bun I do think you northerners have the good stuff.
Amy, I Love the 100calorie oreos!
Anon. . . thanks for being so honest.
Thanks lisa
and Aubry, I am ready for the almonds. You look thin and beautiful in your thumbnail but, I think the same principles of prayer can work for buying a house too.